Term dates 2019-2020
The School Day Hours
The Pre-school is open to all children aged between 2 and 5 years.
We operate Monday to Friday term time only.
Our hours are:
Morning session – 9.00 until 12.00
Afternoon session – 12.00 until 15.00 (please provide a packed lunch for afternoon sessions).
- When the children first arrive at preschool, we ask parents to assist your child hanging their outdoor wear and shoes on the pegs, putting their indoor shoes on and self-registering at the registration board.
- Then the parent should drop their
child at their relevant key group, making sure a member of staff has been available to greet your child before leaving.
- Children will take part in group activities which are planned around the current topic. We also let our children guide our
planning, so if your children have a particular interest or something to show us, we will focus our activities around the ideas of the children.
- Later in the session, the snack bar will be opened up and children encouraged to get involved
pouring their own drinks and preparing the snack.
- The garden will be opened and children will have an opportunity to play in our outdoor environment.
We are very lucky in our setting to have full access to the Heritage Centre
Gardens which allows us to be able to take the children on nature walks and take part in forest school type activities in our curriculum.
Settling in to Preschool
- We ask that you stay for at least the first hour of your child’s first session to settle them in and fill out all of the relevant forms. We recommend you arrive around 9.20 on your first day, this gives staff an opportunity to greet and settle the other children in their group, and be ready to devote time to you and your child when you arrive.
- During this time, you can discuss with your child’s keyworker, the best way to settle your child according to your needs.
- All children are unique and the amount of time that a child
takes to settle in varies enormously. We welcome you to stay at the beginning of sessions until you and your child feel comfortable enough to separate.
- Each child will be a member of either Butterflies or Caterpillar group and it will be this
staff team mainly getting to know your child in the first few days. Each child is assigned a keyworker who will liaise with you and get to know your child, and provide a sense of becoming a familiar person to your child.
Hextable Village Pre-school recognises parents/carers as the first and most important educators of their children. Children on consistency and we ask that Parents and Staff work together to provide this both at home and at pre-school.
By regular discussions and awareness of your child’s development, we aim to work together to help your child reach his/her full potential in all areas.
If you have a particular skill or interest that could be of interest to our children, we would very much welcome you to share this with our children e.g. cooking, gardening, music, craft, or a job that you could tell the children about.
- We have uniform available for you to buy, which consists or a red t-shirt, and a red sweatshirt printed with the preschool logo. This is not compulsory, however, we do recommend your child attend’s preschool in clothing
you won’t mind getting spoilt as our activities can get messy!
- Please label clothes, coats and shoes clearly as we cannot be held responsible for items going missing. As you can imagine its quite a task to ensure 24 pairs of wellies and coats get put back on the right pegs!
- We also sell book bags, alternatively you can use your own (just please ensure they fit in the book tray your child will have at preschool. Children are able to and encouraged to choose a book from our library to share at home, and exchange once they’ve finished it.
- We do ask that all children change into indoor shoes when they come in, to keep our environment
clean. Outdoor shoes should be left by their peg, such as wellies in the winter and crocs or similar in summer as we do get wet and messy all year round.
- We offer snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. A menu and a list of potential allergens can be found on the board in the cloakroom.
- For children attending all day, or
afternoon sessions, you need to supply a packed lunch which they eat at 12.10. We do request that you provide a healthy lunch, avoiding nuts, chocolate and sweets. If you provide grapes, can we please ask that you cut them in half lengthways, to prevent them
being a choking hazard.
- If your child is still in nappies please send your child with a change of clothes, nappies, wipes and nappy sacks. If nappies are changed the staff
will wear, aprons and gloves. A nappy changing mat will always be used.
- Once your child is showing signs that they may be ready to start using the toilet, we are happy to support this. Please provide plenty of clean clothes in case of accidents.
- We do encourage independence so please try to support this at home,
and ensure their clothes are easily manageable to use the toilet at short notice!
- We will ask you who will regularly collect your child, if anyone other than the
named person is going to collect your child from Pre-school we must be informed beforehand.
- We do have a password system and anyone collecting a child must know this. If you have not told us in advance then we will not allow the child to leave the premises until we have contacted you. Please appreciate how
important this is for the safety of your child.
Medication and Illness
- We can only administer medication which has been prescribed by a medical professional, and provided your
child is fit and well to be at preschool e.g. the end course of antibiotics once they are feeling well enough.
- Children should not attend pre-school if they are suffering from sickness diarrhoea, an infectious illness or have any unspecific
rashes. If your child has been ill in the night or has sticky eyes please do not bring your child into pre-school until 48hrs after symptoms finish.
- If head lice are detected or a parent tells us that there child has head lice but is being treated then a notice will be put on the notice board informing
- If your child becomes unwell at Pre-school every effort will be made to contact you